Monday, April 05, 2010

Quitcher whining and get to work.

Tam sums up why I quit reading PostSecret:

[Cheating is] all painted as somehow involuntary. "Are you going to cheat? Check your fingers!" Not your conscience or your commitment or your intellect, but your genes are entirely at fault, here, apparently. The devil made me do it!

Hey, the heart's an involuntary muscle, but your fingers and hands are under purely conscious control. I have never spontaneously dropped trou because my digits accidentally unbuckled my belt of their own volition. It seems like taking responsibility for one's actions is terribly out of vogue these days.

[snip]

I'm addicted. It's society's fault. It's my genes. I can't help it. Give me a pill to make me better. Feel sorry for me. I'm the victim here. Me and my problem. Pay attention to me.

Society is suffering from Munchausen's-by-Proxy.
Nailed it. If you don't own your bad behavior, I guarantee it will own you -- and that goes for bad luck, too. Are you going to let it ruin your day, or are you going to keep going and make the most of your situation? Are you going to let circumstances determine how you behave, or will you make your behavior determine your circumstances? Find your core identity and stick to it, regardless of what's going on around you. That's what grown-ups do.

And once you find that core, hardly anything can touch you. It's a good place to be.

No comments: