Friday, May 04, 2007

The most childish thing I've heard all week (a rant)

A young man in California claimed that he was going to kill himself for peace. The site is short, so I'll copy most of it here:

"My name is Christopher. My name means, "Bearer of Christ." I attended UC Santa Cruz until it became too expensive for my family to afford. Americans like baseball, so let me try to explain myself with a baseball analogy: 9/11 was strike 1, the War was strike 2, Katrina was strike 3, and Virginia Tech was too much. No more for me. I don't want to play anymore.

As a human, I feel I have the right to live free from fear, free from powerdrunk hate-mongers, free from the voices inside our collective conscience suggesting we commit grand crimes for our countries.

On May 3rd, 2007, at 3:07 PM PST in front of a busy gas station in Livermore, CA, I am going to kill myself for peace to prove the futility of fighting a War for Peace. Shortly afterwards, I will read a statement regarding my sacrifice. It will basically say, "Chris died for peace."

Thank you for your understanding, be safe, be happy, and good luck.

Thank you.
Let me get this straight: He wants to kill himself for peace because he "do[es]n't want to play anymore"? People do bad things, so he's going to take his ball and go home? When did making a "statement" become more constructive than actually making an effort to improve things? How is causing his friends and family grief going to make the world a better place? The bad guys aren't going to stop killing people because some college student says "Stop it!" with suicide. They're used to death. They'll just laugh at his wasted effort and go right on with what they're doing. Plus, he lists Katrina as a reason for wanting to go through with this. Since when do the forces of nature pay attention to us mortals? Maybe he thinks he can influence the government, but let's face it, he's just one more face in the crowd. Nobody heard of him before this. Maybe if he was famous, he would have a better chance of success, but it's still a fruitless gesture. Sacrificing your life when no one asked you to is not the way to stop the powers of darkness.

Somehow, I doubt he believes in a just and loving god.

I hope he didn't go through with it. It's a stupid way to die. You wanna die for peace? Go do mission work over in the Phillipines or something, put yourself in danger for someone else and do something selfless for a change. This guy sounds like the kind who wouldn't intervene in a beating because he wants to take the high road and avoid violence. I hope he got over himself or at least chickened out.

I'll update this post later if I hear anything more. If he did kill himself, I'm going to be very disappointed.

UPDATE: My mother has pointed out that he may not have meant literal suicide; that it might, instead, have been a symbolic gesture.

I still think it's stupid.

No comments: